Newcastle upon Tyne, UK

Do Not Disturb by Freida McFadden | Book Review

 


I am on a Freida McFadden binge this year. I'm aiming to read the majority of her books as she is becoming one of my favourite thriller writers. This is the second book in August I have read that is by Freida. The other being Never Lie, which I loved! In previous months I had also read The Teacher, Locked Door and The Housemaid series. That makes it 7 books out of 27 books I'm aware of. I'm quite excited for the upcoming The Boyfriend novel.

Do not Disturb was published in 2021 and follows Quinn, who has done a terrible thing, she killed her husband and is now on the run. When a snowstorm and a run in with a cop who spotted a busted taillight, force her to hide, she ends up in Baxtor Motel. Which isn't quite the safe haven she hoped it would be. The motel has a disturbing past and an eccentric former circus fortune teller living long term and a creepy silhouette of a woman in the house across the motel. What's not to love about the premise of this story. It ticks all the right boxes.

Quinn decides she's not comfortable at the motel and leaves to get back on the road but she has to survive the night first.

I thought this book was full of twists and turns. I really enjoyed all the characters and their POV's after the first twist. A signature writing style that I've come to love from McFadden's thrillers. With the POV chapters all coming together in the end leaving another twist. 

I guessed one of the predictable twists when it came to the history of the motel but the big twist I barely saw coming and I was shook. When it comes to Freidas stories, she does have similar themes in her books, usually it's a woman who is done wrong by a man and there is always a murder but she tweaks it every time for that twist.

I really enjoyed the back story of the owners of the motel and Rosalie was the star of the book for me. I felt sadness in her POV and I really rooted for her as well as Quinn. 

This story is fast paced, full of thrills, suspense and creepiness. I'd love for there to be a anthology series like American Horror Story but it's all just Freidas books. I'd be seated with my popcorn so fast.

I gave this book 4 stars and highly recommend to add it to your thriller list.

💭Have you read any of McFadden's books? Which one is your favourite?


0 Comments

Contact Form (Do not remove it)

back to top