THE EX HEX



I started this not long after reading Hex Appeal as I was still in my "I need witchy rom-coms and I need them now" phase. I had also grabbed the sequel after seeing it in my local Works shop for £2. Let me tell you, I struggled with the first few chapters of this book. I do like Vivi's character but omg how I dislike Rhys Penhallow. I love the whole cursing him, and the town going haywire from the curse but I hated the "chemistry" between Vivi and Rhys. But I plundered on as I was quite enjoying the antics of the talkative cat " TREATS TREATS", the ghost and the murderous wind up toys.

That all sounds great but wrapped in an enemies to lovers trope and I'm finding myself putting this book down and finding another book to read. (actually six more books to read, too many good books out, not enough time) 

Let's read the blurb of this book;

"Vivienne handled the biggest break-up of her life the way that any witch would: vodka, bubble baths and a curse on her ex. NINE years later, Rhys Penhallow, descendant of the town's founders, breaker of hearts and still irritatingly gorgeous, is back. Rhys has returned to the town of Graves Glen to recharge the ley lines and make an appearance at the annual fall festival. But when his every move results in calamity, Vivi realizes that hexing her ex might not have been so harmless after all."

One part of a chapter near the beginning when Rhys is back and heads to the "horny" caves of Graves Glen to fix the ley lines, was just that. The weird horniness that over come them and also the fact that after NINE YEARS they are still horny for each other. GUUUUURRRRL. Get yourself another man. The last book I read, she kept freezing her lovers dicks off when she slept with them and that didn't stop her from finding true love with a descendant of a witch hunter, so why, Vivi, all of the sudden deciding now he's back into your bubble that you've got the hots for him still after lying to you and not telling you he was arranged to be married. BIG RED FLAG. Yes yes, I know I'm reading a rom-com but I'm not the huge fan of smut in general, I like fluffy read which eventually lead them to falling in love. And The Ex Hex characters just irritate me aside from the cousin. I'm hoping the second book will be the one.
There was even a point where I had read the chapter about the library at Penhaven College but instantly forgot what happened in it. This is where I need to learn to tab and annotate my books.
 
In fact, after finally finishing it after 4 months, I still have no idea what happened in this book. Even the conclusion at the end was so fast that I just didn't care for anything other than the talking cat and the pies.
I just felt like the two love interests just have no spark between them other than sex. Maybes I need to re-read but I'd rather just give it to charity. I gave this a 3 stars on goodreads but its more like a 2.5 stars. 

I'll give the sequel a go when I'm in the mood for a witchy romance and hope that I don't dislike the male character.

What's a big no-no for you when reading romance? 


 

0 Comments

Contact Form (Do not remove it)

back to top