WILDFIRE



I know this is book two in the Maple Hills series but it can also be read as a standalone as I have not read Icebreaker so I'm unfamiliar with Hannah Grace's writing so I can't compare the two but from reviews after reading this, people seem to prefer Icebreaker. I thought I'd give this romance book a chance anyway.

Synopsis:

"Maple Hills students Russ Callaghan and Aurora Roberts cross paths at a party celebrating the end of the academic year, where a drinking game results in them having a passionate one-night stand. Never one to overstay her welcome (or expect much from a man), Aurora slips away before Russ even has the chance to ask for her full name.

Imagine their surprise when they bump into each other on the first day of the summer camp where they are both counselors, hoping to escape their complicated home lives by spending the summer working. Russ hopes if he gets far enough away from Maple Hills, he can avoid dealing with the repercussions of his father’s gambling addiction, while Aurora is tired of craving attention from everyone around her, and wants to go back to the last place she truly felt at home.

Russ knows breaking the camp’s strict “no staff fraternizing” rule will have him heading back to Maple Hills before the summer is over, but unfortunately for him, Aurora has never been very good at caring about the rules. Will the two learn to peacefully coexist? Or did their one night together start a fire they can’t put out?"

Review:


Although I read it quite fast even when I kept putting it down for a few days, I found myself skipping over some of the spicy scenes as the talk during it was so cringe. "You take is so good" omfg no. stop. That whole sentence gives me the ick. Actually quite a few things said in this book gave me an instant ick. THE MAN GOT A BONER FROM HUGGING HER. yeeesh. How old is he? 14? Give me strength. Grace calls herself a "fluffy comfort book" author but having multiple orgasms from a guy you just met, is not fluffy. When Russ and Aurora start acting like a couple, that's the cute fluff stage. The constant sneaking around to have sex during camp hours with kids next door is also giving me an ick. I mean two people walk in on them at separate times. Those kids could have seen some shit at the wrong moment.

As I've said in previous reviews, I like a 1 chilli pepper on my scale of spice and this has a few spicy scenes starting at chapter 3. I have a different idea of what smut is from other people and I just don't like too much of it. The actual sex scenes are fine but the cringe talking put me off.
This book also has the miscommunication trope from the very start and I've figured out that I really dislike this trope. In fact I also dislike it showcased in films. While this is classed as a sports romance, hockey takes a back-seat and it's very much a "I had a one night stand and now its summer love" story line.

I did love the setting of our characters being at camp, but there were too many characters to keep up with but they were funny and gave found family vibes which was lovely. The first half of the book was cute and we had some plot with major daddy issues for both main characters making it their entire personality which made the second half of this book rushed and unconvincing. I have to admit the epilogue was really sweet and that bumped it to a 3 star instead of the 2.5 stars I was going to rate it.

“It’s no secret that I love books. I love stories about people I don’t know, and places I haven’t been to. I’ve lived a thousand lives between a thousand pages,”
―  Wildfire

Will I be picking up Icebreaker or Daydream by Hannah? Maybes. One Day. But I have other books to read.

Also Side Note: from other reviews I've seen, the author likes to block anyone who gives an honest review and anyone seen interacting with those reviews. Gurl take those bad reviews and use them to make changes.

What is your favourite romance trope?



 

0 Comments

Contact Form (Do not remove it)

back to top