Newcastle upon Tyne, UK

THE HOUSE IN THE WOODS by Yvette Fielding


 {Paperback ~ 210 pages ~ Publisher: Andersen Press}
 

Hello! Welcome back to my blog and to the first post of 2022! :D I've got a lovely little Middle Grade Horror Book to review! 
 
If you are like me and watched TV between 2002 and 2010, you would have seen Most Haunted, Yvette Fielding needs no introduction but if you have not got the foggiest who Fielding or Most Haunted is then let me summarize. Most Haunted was a ghost hunting show, hosted by Yvette Fielding, who is known for also hosting Blue Peter back in the days, Most Haunted also featured a few mediums over the years, Derek Acorah being the most famous of them. Turns out Derek was a fake medium so they gave him the axe.
They would visit various locations around the UK and try and get in contact with ghosts, most of the time it was just dust shots flying through the camera but they did have some spooky episodes but in all fairness, it was an entertainment show and I don't think they really took anything too serious behind the scenes but that's a different topic of discussion. I'm here to review The House in the Woods.

I was very surprised to hear that Yvette had made a book. A fiction book. For middle grade! I'd like to note, I was not given this uncorrected proof by a publisher, it was passed on to me by a friend. 

Fielding clearly pulled her investigations and experience into this book but made it safe for children. I would have loved to have read an adult horror by Yvette based on her ghost hunting adventures. 
 
 -------------------
 
The book follows our protagonists Clovis, Eve and Tom, who decide to play with an Ouija board in an abandoned house on Halloween night unknowingly unleashing horrors which follows them home and starts them on their journey of becoming ghost hunters with the help of Eve's Uncle!
 
If Point Horror books were still being published, this would have made a great addition to the collection. It's a perfect book for children who want to start reading age appropriate horror novels. It was easy to read, simple and had enough creepy imagery of Nazi ghosts and Poltergeist activity to make a child want to read more without them being too scared! As you would expect, it's quite a fast paced book from the very first chapter, things are already happening, which is great for keeping a young viewer engaged.

As an adult, it was a cute and fun book to blast through. It felt a bit rushed at times but over-all, I had a great time reading the adventures of these little ghost hunters. I would love to see more adult horror books from Yvette, I think she'd give the perfect blend of real life experiences mixed with dramatized horror and gore.

I'm looking forward to seeing what happens in book two. I gave this a 3/5 stars on Good Reads
 
 

Happy Reading 
- J


0 Comments

Contact Form (Do not remove it)

back to top