BOOK HAUL



Welcome to a little book haul. I recently decided to pop into my local The Works shop and Mind Charity shop to see what books they had for me to whisk away, let sit on my shelves for 8 months to be finally read. (I know many of you feel personally attacked right now)


Let's start with what I found in the charity shop. All of these books were 50p each! I was gobsmacked and I've now found my new favourite charity shop. I always try and buy books second hand wherever I can, even on amazon and eBay. It makes me feel less guilty if the spines are already cracked and not perfect. The shop had some great titles on the shelves but I picked up the following.



FIGHT CLUB By Chuck Palahniuk
Well hello there Tyler Durden. I've seen Fight Club and it's such a good film. Now I've heard that Chuck thought the movie was better than his book so, tell you what Chuck, I'll be the judge of that in 8 months when I finally pick this up. I didn't realise how short this book was. 218 pages to be exact. I'm very excited to read this.

"Fight Club’s estranged narrator leaves his lackluster job when he comes under the thrall of Tyler Durden, an enigmatic young man who holds secret after-hours boxing matches in the basement of bars. There, two men fight "as long as they have to." This is a gloriously original work that exposes the darkness at the core of our modern world." - Good Reads

WHERE THE CRAWDADS SING by Delia Owens
When I saw this book for 50p, my whole body seemed to have done a happy dance, right there and then in front of the payment counter where a store clerk was standing behind it. I've heard such good things about this book that I cannot tell you how excited I am to finally get my hands on a copy.

"For years, rumors of the “Marsh Girl” haunted Barkley Cove, a quiet fishing village. Kya Clark is barefoot and wild; unfit for polite society. So in late 1969, when the popular Chase Andrews is found dead, locals immediately suspect her.

But Kya is not what they say. A born naturalist with just one day of school, she takes life's lessons from the land, learning the real ways of the world from the dishonest signals of fireflies. But while she has the skills to live in solitude forever, the time comes when she yearns to be touched and loved. Drawn to two young men from town, who are each intrigued by her wild beauty, Kya opens herself to a new and startling world—until the unthinkable happens." - Good Reads


IF THERE BE THORNS by V.C Andrews
A few years back I had started reading the infamous Dollanganger series by Andrews and it blew me away. I love grim story lines such as these and I had only read two books in the series. When I found this book in pristine condition for 50p and I whipped that off the shelf faster then you could read the title of this book.

"Christopher and Cathy have made a loving home for their handsome and talented teenager Jory, their imaginative nine-year-old Bart, and a sweet baby daughter. Then an elderly woman and her strange butler move in next door. The Old Woman in Black watches from her window, lures lonely Bart inside with cookies and ice cream, and asks him to call her “grandmother.” Slowly Bart transforms, each visit pushing him closer to the edge of madness and violence, while his anguished parents can only watch. For Cathy and Chris, the horrors of the past have come home…and everything they love may soon be torn from them." - Good Reads

Moving on to the books from The Works, which usually have great thriller and YA novels in their 3 for £5 deals. I grabbed the following.



SOOKIE STACKHOUSE COLLECTION by Charlene Harris
I loved watching and reading True Blood so when I saw their was a short story collection of Bon Temps favourite vampire loving fairy Sookie, I had to grab it for my mini library. I can't wait to dive into the world of True Blood once again. This book is also called A Touch of Dead.

"Meet Sookie Stackhouse!

Sookie Stackhouse is everybody's favourite cocktail waitress: a cute bubbly blonde ... who can read minds. But Sookie's far from being the only person in Bon Temps, Louisiana with a handicap, what with the local vampire population demanding their unhuman rights and weres fighting for territory ... In fact, Bon Temps is a pretty lively place these days!

A Touch of Dead collects together all the Sookie Stackhouse short stories in one gorgeous volume, and showcases the writing talents of international bestseller Charlaine Harris" - Good Reads

CHOSEN ONES by Veronica Roth
I read Roth's Divergant series and even though I thought it was just okay, I wanted to pick up another book by Veronica and see what else she has to tell.

"A decade ago near Chicago, five teenagers defeated the otherworldly enemy known as the Dark One, whose reign of terror brought widespread destruction and death. The seemingly un-extraordinary teens—Sloane, Matt, Ines, Albie, and Esther—had been brought together by a clandestine government agency because one of them was fated to be the “Chosen One,” prophesized to save the world. With the goal achieved, humankind celebrated the victors and began to mourn their lost loved ones.

Ten years later, though the champions remain celebrities, the world has moved forward and a whole, younger generation doesn’t seem to recall the days of endless fear. But Sloane remembers. It’s impossible for her to forget when the paparazzi haunt her every step just as the Dark One still haunts her dreams. Unlike everyone else, she hasn’t moved on; she’s adrift—no direction, no goals, no purpose. On the eve of the Ten Year Celebration of Peace, a new trauma hits the Chosen: the death of one of their own. And when they gather for the funeral at the enshrined site of their triumph, they discover to their horror that the Dark One’s reign never really ended.
 " - Good Reads

GRACELING by Kristen Cashore
I have to admit, I've never heard of this series. There were two more books in the series on the shelves but I thought I'd pick up Book 1 before committing to a new series. Also how beautiful is this book cover :D

"Katsa has been able to kill a man with her bare hands since she was eight—she’s a Graceling, one of the rare people in her land born with an extreme skill. As niece of the king, she should be able to live a life of privilege, but Graced as she is with killing, she is forced to work as the king’s thug.

She never expects to fall in love with beautiful Prince Po." - Goodreads


 



What books have you picked up lately? Do you buy second hand or brand new?

Happy Reading! - J

0 Comments

Contact Form (Do not remove it)

back to top