SUMMERWEEN READATHON 2024


Summerween is hosted every year by GabbyReads. The premise of this readathon is to basically read horror/thriller/Halloween themed books in Summer. This year it began on the 5th of July to the 11th of July.

As someone who loves spooky season I'm so happy to finally join a readathon this year. If you are able to, there is even super cute merch available to buy for the readathon. Including bookmarks, stickers and sweaters. I opted to not buy anything this year. #sadtimes 

Head to my Instagram to view what I did for the photo prompts.

Summerween has prompts to help you with your TBR list as well as Instagram posts, the TBR list includes the following prompts;

1. Read a book in the dark.

2. Read a thriller or horror book.

3. Read a book with a night sky on the cover.

4. Read a book with five words in the title.

5. Read a book that takes place in the summer.

I chose the following books, to read on my kindle. I was super excited to read through these books. Some of them are under 300 pages and are easily do-able within the readathon. Even after the readathon, if I don't complete all five books, I will still continue with the chosen books to read in July.


The Teacher by Freida McFadden

Prompt: Thriller or Horror Book (I chose both)

I love a Freida McFadden book and I'm aiming to read all of her current thrillers this year, so this was a perfect opportunity to include a thriller in the readathon. I gave this a 4 star because the ending had me. I tend to guess most of McFadden's twists but the journey reading her books is what I love. You never know what to expect and some twists punch me in the face. This one was no exception.

Horror Movie by Paul Tremblay

Prompt: Thriller or Horror Book

I've heard many good things about this book within the booktube and booktok sphere so when I finished this book I was left unsatisfied. I felt the pages of the actual movie screenplay were more exciting then what was happening in the present. I was left slightly confused about the whole thing. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the book but this turned from a 4 star to a 3 star real fast with that ending.

Spookily Yours by Jennifer Chapman

Prompt: Night Sky on the Cover

A cute little spooky rom com to break up the horror and thrillers. This is if Salem from Sabrina the Teenage Witch became human and horny. It felt rushed with the fated mates trope but I had fun reading this. The spicy scenes didn't do anything for me.

The Saturday Night Ghost Club by Craig Davidson

Prompt: Takes place in summer/night sky/horror/five words in title

I started reading this not knowing what it was about but I ended up picking other books up to read first in this readathon. I came back to it and ended up reading the next book instead. I just felt a bit bored. It's a soft DNF for me at the moment.

Home is Where the Bodies Are by Jeneva Rose

Prompt: five words in the title

I was quite intrigued by this and I did start this on the last day of Summerween but was unable to finish within the readathon so I will be continuing to read in July.

Over rall I'm really happy with the outcome of how many books I was able to read within the 7 days of readathon. I pushed myself and enjoyed some new books! I hope to take part in next year's readathon as I had so much fun taking photos for my bookgram! Now I'm excited for Autumn.




0 Comments

Contact Form (Do not remove it)

back to top