The Map of Tiny Perfect Things


I saw a little film on amazon starring my new fave actress Kathryn Newton and Kyle Allen called The Map of Tiny Perfect Things about two people who fall for each other in a time loop and I just loved the premise of it and while doing some digging on this film as I had never heard it before, I came across goodreads for a novella of the same name by Lev Grossman and just had to find it and read the novella.

So here I am, one movie watched and one novella read. 

The book is roughly 90-100 pages long and only available as a ebook as far as I'm aware, I couldn't find a hardcopy. The film is 1 hour and 39 minutes long so I was wondering how they'd manage to stretch a novella out in that amount of time. They kept quite alot of the book in the film,. Usually with any film adaptations, they change quite a bit of the storyline but from what I read of the authors note, they changed only a couple of things and in my opinion, it didn't really differ the story in any way.

The authors note at the end is also worth a read.

I loved the premise of the timeloop but I was still unsure of what made the timeloop even though it was explained. Why these two people? Is there anyone else experiencing these timeloops? Can it happen to anyone? I wanted more answers but I was also satisfied with how both the book and movie ended. There is a slow romance between the two characters as they get to know one another through the time they have throughout the loop which I really enjoyed. The novella is told from Mark's point of view, he narrates the timeloop to us and in the film, he uses his best friend as a way to vent about what is happening. I wish they had kept the narration in the film. The friend could have been cut from the film and it would have also been fine however Margaret,in the film, is the one who figures out how to break the timeloop. 


I know its done with every time loop storyline ever but I wanted to have the characters doing crazier things knowing the day will reset. There is a line in which Mark mentions he is afraid to do anything big in case the day doesn't reset but surely within the first week, you would have already done some silly things. There was a montage in the film of them doing tame and silly things but it could have been better. Even in the book, things could have gotten crazier but I see why keeping it safe was a good option because I think I would have slightly played it safe if it happened to me, just in case. 

I gave this a 5 stars on goodreads and storygraph.  I was plesently surprised with the novel and the film and had such a lovely time with both of them.

πŸ’­What is your favourite book to film/tv adapatation?




0 Comments

Contact Form (Do not remove it)

back to top