Newcastle upon Tyne, UK

ALL OUR HIDDEN GIFTS by CAROLINE O DONOGHUE | Book Review



{Author: Caroline O' Donoghue | Paperback | 395 Pages | Publisher: Walker Books | Good Reads}


Hello! I hope you are well. Today I'm reviewing All our Hidden Gifts by Caroline O'Donoghue. A paranormal young adult fantasy with some LGBTQ+ representation and mystery! I got this book in my Book Box Club Subscription last year and I got round to picking it up during the summer and reading it and oh boy, let me tell you that I had a hard time putting this book down. Unfortunately this post has been stuck in my drafts since the summer of 2021. #bloggerproblems.


All our Hidden Gifts follows Maeve Chambers, our protagonist, who finds a pack of tarot cards one day during her time cleaning out a closet that she has named "The Chokey" at her all girls catholic school, which is also set in Ireland. She gets familiar with her new cards and starts giving out accurate readings to her classmates around her. Bur Maeve gives a reading to her ex-best friend, Lily and pulls a strange card that has never been seen in the pack before. Soon after, Lily goes missing and Maeve, along with Roe, Lily's brother and her new friend Fiona try to solve the mystery of her new powers and where Lily has disappeared to.


This book has teenagers figuring out their sexuality, hate crimes and weird cults, climate change, trans representation all while dealing with supernatural forces. And it's a recipe for an amazing novel. O'Donoghue really hit the nail on the head when it comes to representation and I loved the relationship that developed between Maeve and Roe. It was beautiful.


All Our Hidden Gifts got me out of a reading slump last year, I had gotten half way through The Maze Runner and lost my drive to read and then I decided to pick this up and I'm so glad I did. I've also found out quite recently that a sequel is in the works and I couldn't be any more excited to get my hands on a copy. 


I knew as soon as this book was in a witchy themed subscription box that I would love this book. I've been reading so many fantastic novels centered around witches. I need them to make a comeback in tv and film because if anyone was a bit underwhelmed at The Craft Legacy, then you know we need a new era of witches. I miss Chilling Adventures of Sabrina and I've given up on the new series of the remake of Charmed but my craving for magic and witches lives in storytelling and I bloody love it.


I highly recommend this book. 

5/5.







Follow my blog with Bloglovin

0 Comments

Contact Form (Do not remove it)

back to top