CIRCE by Madeline Miller | I now love Greek Retellings



This novel is a greek retelling of the greek witch, Circe. Daughter of Helios, the god of the sun. Circe does not have a power like her father but posesses a different type of power, the power of witchcraft. Threatened by Zeus, she is banished to her own island, where she learns to hone her witchcraft, tame animals and crosses paths with many historial greek mythology figures including Daedalus and Icarus, Hermes, Athena and Minotaur just to name some. I found myself contantly pointing at my book like that Leonardo Dicaprio gif every time I saw a reference to greek myths. 

It's dangerous to be a woman even when she is the daughter of a powerful god. We read about Circe's journey from love, loss and betrayals. She finds herself pitted against one of the most powerful olympians and must summon all that she can to save the people she loves.

I took my time read this book, wanting to fully let the words sink in. Words that shocked and awed me. And I wanted more.

You threw me to the crows, but it turns out I prefer them to you. - Circe

Little Spoiler ahead but a fabulous reason to read. Circe likes to turn any man that crosses her into pigs. She also uses those pigs to feed herself and any other man that comes knocking wanting food. THE WAY SHE SLAAAAYED. YASSS GIRL. Turn those dickheads into bacon. 

Can you believe I found this book for 50p in a thrift shop?! The excitement I felt when I laid eyes on it was overwhelming and now I want to read all the greek retellings.

I used to love reading about ancient greeks in school and now this book has rekindled my love for them. I hope to read Miller's other greek retelling The Song of Achillies.

Do you have a favourite ancient greek god/olympian or perhaps a favourite greek myth? I personally love the myth of Medusa.




0 Comments

Contact Form (Do not remove it)

back to top