The Cruel Prince


I've been making my way through popular fantasy books that have captured readers hearts. It's only been the last few years that I've rekindled my love for reading. I used to love being lost in a book as a teenager and during my twentys I slowed right down. And now I just want to read everything in sight. My good reads TBR (where I just throw any book that sounds right up my alley) is over 600 books. 

The Cruel Prince was kindly gifted by a facebook booktok fairy and I am forever grateful. I can't believe I've never read a Holly Black novel and I'm so glad I read this as my first. 
It's a young adult fantasy romance novel mostly focusing on fae politics. It's magical and dark yet intriguing and I drank every word of it.

I gasped a few times during this book. From the very first chapter to the straight up bullying and pretty much using elf wine as a roofie, I was hooked in the story of Jude, a human living in a fae world, despised by her peers and following her journey through trickery and fae politics. Everyone talks about Prince Carden, and although there seems to be a romance brewing, it's not prominent in the storyline. So I'm excited, as a first time reader of the Folk of Air series, to see how this romance plays out.

The world building was wonderful to read. The human world is set in modern times with the likes of Target and McDonalds being mentioned. Whereas the world of Elfhame sounded like a horrible place for a human to reside in. It's astonishing that any kind of human would want to live there with the way they are mostly treated. The over rall plot of the book was interesting. There was not a dull page in sight and found myself thinking about the next chapter whenever I had to put it down.

Instead of being afraid, I could become something to fear.
 - Jude


I cannot wait to pick up the second book in the series, The Wicked King and read more about Jude and Carden.

Have you read the Folk of Air series? Who is your favourite character? 



0 Comments

Contact Form (Do not remove it)

back to top