Baking Bad | Camp Cozy Book Club


I found this lovely book club on instagram. The Camp Cozy Book Club. And I decided I wanted to be a part of this cute book club so here I am a month later with the book Baking Bad and I've joined a discord server to talk all things cozy books. 

Baking Bad is a cosy fantasy and part 1 of the Beaufort Scales Series.


"A tranquil village. A poisoned cupcake. A murdered vicar.
A simple case - or it should be. But all clues point to the Toot Hansell Women’s Institute, and Detective Inspector Adams is about to discover there’s much more to the W.I. than bake sales and jam making.

Alice Martin, RAF Wing Commander (Ret.), and current chair of the W.I., knows the ladies of the Women’s Institute are not guilty. But she has a bigger problem. Toot Hansell has a dragonish secret, and she needs to keep the police well away from it. And she’d really rather not be arrested for murder. 

Meanwhile, Beaufort Scales, High Lord of the Cloverly dragons and survivor of the days of knights and dragon hunts, knows even better than Alice that the modern dragon only survives as long as no one knows they exist. But he also knows friends don’t let friends face murder inquiries alone. Beaufort fully intends to Get Involved.

This investigation is about to take on dragonish proportions. Best put the kettle on."
- Goodreads

MY THOUGHTS

I gave this book a 3 stars on goodreads/storygraph. I had several cups of tea whilst reading this book and it took two weeks to finish. I found myself picking up other books. 
I liked the vibes, the dragons, the story and the Detective and I really enjoyed the ending of this story but I disliked the main characters Alice and Miriam. They really got on my nerves. I felt like they were quite irritating while also meddling with the investigation. If they had given a piece of evidence earlier on in the book to the detective, the murder would have been solved much more quicker than having these, almost like, Father Ted meets Faulty Tower antics which I hate in comedy. Using comedy with dragons fell a bit flat. I adored both dragons and wanted more lore to this world and more backstories but all this book had to offer was dragons getting in the way whilst two, I assumed, middle aged women did everything possible to look stupid and suspisious. Alice was suppose to be a retired RAF Wing Commander but nothing in this book screamed this apart from her calm demeanor. I'm not a huge fan of whatever trope was in this. I hope the second book is much better in the series. It was a cute book and it had some moments that I really loved but it wasn't strong enough for me to care about any of the characters just yet. 

Three stars on my reading scale is still a good rating. It wasn't terrible but it wasn't amazing to me either. I'm sure it is someone elses cup of tea. If you love cosy and fun storys featuring dragons, then this one is for you. There are many more books in the series and I might give this author another chance.


💭Do you have a favourite dragon?


0 Comments

Contact Form (Do not remove it)

back to top